2009-08-21

Walking along the Moselle

One of my favorite places to walk in Metz is along the Moselle. There is something soothing about being near the water for me. Where the river hits centre ville, the walkway along the banks turns into a wooden promenade, with a cement wall leading up to the streets above.

As I walked along the promenade one day, I noticed iron rings attached to the wall at different heights (photo). It took a few minutes for me to figure out the promenade is over the water and that the rings are old mooring rings. I do not know how long the promenade has existed or how long it has been since a boat tied up to one of these rings ... a few years? A few decades?

2 comments:

  1. I always think a city without water (might be a river, might be a lake, might be the sea) is missing something basic.
    I don't know about the Moselle, the Rhine and Main have very different gauges (?) throughout the year - perhaps a boat was tied up at the ring just some months ago?
    I always love these combinations of stone, rusty metal, moss in photos - gives a nice colouring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Water level, perhaps? I don't know how usable that particular ring is, since it is so close to the walkway, but it is plausible the ones higher up on the wall would be if the water level were high enough. I hope I'll be able to return to see!

    ReplyDelete