2009-05-13

Fort de Bellecroix

Sunday, the 10th of May dawned, you guessed it, grey and threatening rain! I think I can count on one hand the number of clear, sunny days since I arrived in early April. I donned my rain jacket, and headed out toward rue La Fayette to make my way to Forte de Bellecroix, the last leg in my exploration of the Circuit des Remparts

From what I can tell, Forte de Bellecroix was conceived by military engineer Vauban in the 17th century, and implemented by his succesor, Louis de Cormontaigne, in the 18th century (and strengthened by Napoleon at the end of the 19th century) to reinforce the East side of Metz. Portions of the barracks were destroyed in 2008, considered to have decayed too much to be safe, and what is left is being renovated for living, retail and office spaces.

Since I actually sort of planned my destination ahead of time, I actually had an idea in mind of where I was going, and noticed little markers that pointed to the path. Still, I managed to miss the boundaries of where the fort began! I just sort of guessed that when I was surrounded by stone walls that I was there.

Not knowing anything about military terminology, I can only say the Fort is a double crown, with an alley down the middle. The foot path takes you down the middle, and there are little side paths to explore as well. I started exploring a couple of side paths, then thought better of it, because they are fairly densely wooded, and I was alone. However, I did see my usual amount of garbage, and this time, something as large as an abandoned motorcycle, which you can see in my Circuit des Remparts photo album.

I have read about underground galleries at the fort, although I did not see any while I was there (maybe they are on the side paths?). I did, however, see a low, covered passage, which you can see in the album. There are plaques along the walls that show you what you are viewing (you can see one in the album, too), but I have to be honest and say I had no idea what some of them meant! I saw quite a few mention gathering places for troops, and wasn't sure whether they meant between the walls, or at the top.

I know I complain about the weather a lot, but I do have to admit that everything is lush and green, right now. This photo is of a flower I took on the grounds, and if you look carefully, you might be able to tell that the dot on it is a bug!

The walk home was relatively uneventful, with a stop at a bakery in centre ville (the only ones open on Sundays) for bread, and another at an ice cream truck by the Moselle. However, not ten minutes after I walked in the door of the aparment, I heard LOUD pattering outside. I looked out the window, and buckets of rain were pouring out of the sky! It went on for a good five or ten minutes, and then stopped just as suddenly as it started. This has happened once or twice a day since then. Strange weather for the gal from California, where rain is more like a light, but steady sprinkle on occasion (we have a lot of droughts).

Side note: underlined blue text and photos on this page are clickable links to other pages and larger versions of the photos. Also, I found on the Merriam-Webster dictionary website, an illustration of different battlements!

4 comments:

  1. Il y a plein de fort à visiter et il faut pour cela être muni de lampe de poche sinon vous ne verrez rien.
    De plus la plupart sont en terrain militaire mais il ne faut pas s'en faire on peut y aller sans problème.
    Vous verrez il y a plein de belles choses à voir en Moselle : Jardin botanique à montigny les metz, le fort de Queuleu à Metz sur un parcours de santé...

    En tout cas bon séjour dans notre ville
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Je n'ai pas pensé d'apporter une lampe de poche. Merci beaucoup pour l'idée, et les autres suggestions, Caroline! Et merci pour votre visite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Derien.
    Si tu veux une autre idée de visite tu as aussi tout le coin de l'école des beaux arts qui se situe derrière la place de la république là où il y a l'arsenal. Et plus loin le plan d'eau.
    Ensuite tout ce qui est militaire est en dehors de la ville car le fort de plappeville avec la lumière du jour suffit à visiter l'intérieur de certaines parties.

    Bonne continuation
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  4. L'école des beaux arts a une galerie? J'y visite, certainement!

    ReplyDelete