2009-04-29

A Decision

I taught Physical Education and Fitness at the same college in the San Francisco Bay Area for over 15 years. In the past three years, I began working in finance for a start-up company. Since CFOs have not stayed on with anything resembling regularity, I work directly for the CEO, who splits time in London, Paris and San Francisco/Los Angeles. He is flexible about where I live, allowing me to work from home, wherever that may be. His only requirement is that I am within about an hour from any of his locations. Despite that, I chose to stay home in the Bay Area for two years, mainly to keep my relatively safe teaching job and because I have lived there most of my life.

Last year, I opened an office for the company in the UK, and lived there for two months. When it came time to move back home, I was both happy to be returning to my home, assortment of pets, friends and family, but I was also a bit sad. While in the UK, I found I liked being in unfamiliar surroundings, without my safety net of friends and family to fall back on. I decided to follow my CEO to Europe in the following year.

This year, I am closing the UK office, and I have just moved to Metz, in the Moselle département of the Lorraine region in Northern France. I signed a short-term lease and have not applied for a long-term visa in anticipation of having to possibly move again soon (you never know with this economy).

These entries will be my log of this journey into a country where I barely speak the language, and my two closest friends live an hour away (in opposite directions). It is my way for friends and family to check up on me at their leisure (or not!), so I don't continue to jam their inboxes with email updates. Please, consider this my internet home, a virtual version of my tiny studio in the yellow apartment building show in the photo at top. Along the way, I hope to not just keep your updated, but to also take you on a journey to Lorraine as well. I love you and miss you all, even those I have not seen in years.

13 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy the rest of your visit Rei. Thank you for updating us on the start of your adventure in Metz. I hope you meet loads of nice people. I found that when you sit outside those cafes with the little tables neatly laid out, you are never alone for long. People are always so eager to chat. Have fun!

    Bonne Nuit...

    Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks just like a place in Noe Valley! I will love traveling vicariously through your blog.
    You really need to see me if you ever make it back to the states.
    Best wishes,
    bah

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW your Metz of Memories is sooo you~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your studio reminds me of the last place I lived in Madrid but yours is bigger. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to upcoming posts
    Hard to believe it is almost the end of April

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so great! Thanks for sharing! So you are closing the office over there? I was confused ... no surprise there! I'm looking forward to traveling vicariously through your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel I should come armed with a bottle of wine and a plant for this "house warming" of your virtual version of the tiny studio in the yellow apartment building where you have set up residence. *grin*

    For the most part it seems things are falling into place - bar the hiccup with the Agricole. A warm embrace for you and I raise a glass to toast this new adventure. Looking forward to your updates. (Mila)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So far, it's been too cold to sit outside the cafés for long, Cassandra!

    And Barbara, I should be back in June for Dr appointments for a few weeks.

    Madrid... must be Liz! Would you believe this building has 12 apartments in it?

    The work thing is convoluted, Sheila. I am confused, too.

    Funny, early on I bought little herb pots to put out on the window sill to make things seem more homey, Mila. And I have also collected a few local wines and brandies to sample soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my comment flew off!

    Looking at my post to you last night. I'm amused to see I'm anonymous!
    Hahahahahahahahaha.

    Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahahahaha, just your luck the Paris weather is still chilly. However, it should change very soon. I love that side of life in France, where they sit at tables on the street and enjoy coffee. It's almost as though the whole of the world stops by for a chat. It seems many other countries do that now. It works better where they have stopped cars driving through and only bicycles are allowed.

    Funnily enough, when I was in Italy, they seemed to drink their coffee on the run. Italians call into a cafe, order the drink, down it standing up and then run off to work!

    Take care, Rei.

    Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you say, "envy"? : ) It sounds wonderful, Rei, and I applaud you. It isn't easy leaving everything familiar and secure but the experience is worth it,no?

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are some streets up in the center of town where they SHOULD stop cars driving through, Cassandra!

    It is interesting to experience how other people act, think and live, Rebecca. Often, I am thankful for the advantages and opportunities I have had. And often, I think that there are some aspects about the lifestyle back home that need to be re-engineered.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi
    I just came across your blog. I moved from Paris out to the Lorraine area a couple of years ago. I hope you are enjoying it - I don't have time to read all the entries but I love it out here. It reminds me of home in the north of England.
    Just thought I'd drop by and say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi LittleMe, and thanks for the hello! Yes, I am enjoying the area, although I have to leave! I do hope to be back very soon, though.

    ReplyDelete